This was my first gym where I tried out boxing for the first time. I loved everything about it. It’s small, undersized and you can probably train here forever and never pay a single dime (that’s what I did). Awesome trainers, individual attention.
The fighters here are TOUGH! This is a Mexican-style gym. 97% mexican, 1% white, 1% black, 1% asian (me). There are pro’s and amateurs and regular club fighters. They have all the equipment you could possibly need. The place can get crowded sometimes but it’s still a fun place to train.
I was here when:
- Julio Gonzalez was making a comeback (former light heavyweight champion)
- Librado Andrade was undefeated and contending for the super middleweight title
- Enrique Ornelas (Librado’s younger brother) was still undefeated
- Alfonso Gomez trained here
- Jose Armando Santa Cruz & his brother trained here
- and numerous others.
The sparring can be rough. I often found myself in brawls. … or maybe that was just my style back then.
La Habra Boxing Club
343 Hillcrest St
La Habra, CA 90631