Fighters in the Southern California area: I am doing a special ONE-DAY ONLY boxing workshop June 22, 2013 in Los Angeles. All boxers, fighters, coaches welcome!
During this 2-hour interactive workshop, you’ll develop new fighting skills and get personal feedback on your boxing technique. The key topics will be developing catlike balance & footwork for fighting, and advanced power punching technique. It’s a hands-on learning experience to develop your fighting skills directly from me!
Who this workshop is for:
Serious boxers, MMA fighters, martial artists, or coaches with an interest in learning world class footwork and punching technique. Although no prior experience is necessary, the workshop is ideal for individuals with at least 6 months of training experience in any fighting art. I will not be going over boxing basics—this workshop covers only advanced fighting technique!
The first time I did this, we had guys from all levels and ages. Anywhere from 2-months up to a guy with 20 amateur fights. And we all had fun.
Video footage from the 2012 workshop!
1st hour – BALANCE & FOOTWORK
Learn the secrets to balance and footwork used by the world’s best dancers. We’ll be doing the same drills I learned while training under my brother—Brian Nguyen—a world renowned tango champion. (FYI: did you know many greats like Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson trained in dance?)
First you’ll learn how to train and activate your ‘balance’ muscles for better footwork. Then I’ll show you some advanced footwork tricks. You’ll find there is more to grounding yourself than simply bending your knees and lowering your center-of-gravity!
Things you will learn:
- how to stand solid like a rock but move with the grace of a classically trained dancer
- how to block punches without being pushed back
- how to move around the ring without getting tired
- how to move like a cat, slick and powerful (yes, there is a way to learn this!)
- how to move your feet quickly without upsetting your balance
- how to bounce in & out THE CORRECT WAY (slicker & more energy-efficient)
- the difference between a push-walker and a pull-walker
- slick step-drag technique
- tricky footwork moves like: the “fast pivot” and the “one-legged bounce”
- special drills and exercises for developing your balance muscles
- …and much more!
***Note: these are NOT the typical skipping drills you did in football practice!
2nd hour – POWER PUNCHING
In addition to the principles you’ve learned for fighting footwork, you will learn how to ground yourself for incredibly solid punches. First, we’ll break down the body mechanics behind the jab, cross, hook, and uppercut. Then, we’ll learn how to generate maximum rotational power (HINT: it’s not as simple as moving every part of your body).
I’ll demonstrate the key punching mechanics and show you how to load a punch from the INSIDE of your body. Once you know how to move your body, I’ll review some little-known secrets to DOUBLE YOUR PUNCHING POWER IMMEDIATELY.
Things you will learn:
- how to throw a real step jab (the commonly referenced but notoriously misunderstood “falling step” technique made famous by Jack Dempsey)
- how to throw deadly left hooks (even while popping your body up OFF the ground, a la Mike Tyson)
- how to throw killer right crosses without having to “load” the punch
- the proper way to “dig” an uppercut
- how to throw fast flurries WITHOUT having to think about handspeed
- how to punch non-stop without getting tired! (yes, it’s actually possible)
- how to generate maximum rotational force WITHOUT using all of your energy
- …and much more!
Learning the truly essential skills of power punching will allow you to throw powerful punches even while using less effort and less technique!
Cost – $50/person for the workshop. Pre-registration and payment required.
When – Saturday from 1-3pm
Location – the location will be finalized and emailed to you a few days before the weekend.
(It will be in North Hollywood.)
What to bring – shoes, socks, hand wraps, gloves (please be dressed for physical activity)
Reservations – spots are limited to 20 persons/day so register ASAP.
CLICK ABOVE TO REGISTER FOR SATURDAY
(absolutely no refunds, no exceptions)